EVALUATIONS & TRYOUTS
2022-23 Competitive and Junior Tryouts results!
If you did NOT receive an email, plese log into your account and click on the gold “Accept or Decline Position” button.
If you missed tryouts but would still like to be placed on a team, please register for Late Placement. There is a $50 late fee, same as the tryout fee.
Birth Years 2013 – 2014 (U9–U10)
Players registered in Blackhawks developmental programs will be assessed mid-summer for fall placement and again during winter for the following summer team placement. These dual evaluations—unique to our club—ensure the best match between players and their programs. We encourage all interested players to attend, but attendance at evaluations is not necessary to register. Evaluations at this age are used to:
- place developmental-aged boys and girls on summer teams with players of similar skills and ability
- determine the number of teams to be registered at each level
- enable the Developmental Director to adjust the curriculum based on the players participating
Competitive and Juniors Tryouts and Selection
Birth Years 2012 – 2004 (U11–U19) for 2022-23 Season
The Coaching Director organizes tryouts with support of team coaches, boys and girls’ directors, and the club administrator. Team coaches and outside assessors run the tryouts and evaluate the players. Factors considered in selection and placement include: player performance at tryouts; performance, commitment, and behavior as observed by the coach in other playing situations (club, school, training); history with the club; and specific positions needed to strengthen the team. The Coaching Director makes the final decisions on player selection. We encourage players who have questions about tryouts or a team to contact the coach prior to tryouts.
Saint Paul Blackhawks Soccer Club is committed to giving each player the tools to become a complete player. A complete player displays mastery of both technical and tactical aspects of the game as well as character growth. We believe that soccer can be a medium to develop youth physically, mentally, and socially. We aim to produce skilled players who exhibit respect, dedication, and a passion for soccer within a highly competitive environment. Our club is dedicated to prepare youth players for the next level whether professional, collegiate, or amateur.
The path toward developing a complete player recognizes different developmental levels and utilizes developmentally appropriate activities toward the goal.
- Technical: A Complete Player masters all aspects of ball control such as dribbling, passing and receiving, ball striking, heading, and tackling.
- Tactical: A Complete Player understands the fundamentals of defending and attacking individually as well as a team. They understand their role on the field in different formations such as 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1.
- Character: A Complete Player is a leader on the field who knows how to handle adversity, be a team player, and is respectful to others.
Blackhawks team naming conventions follow a tiered developmental designation of gender, age group, and color; color does not necessarily correspond to a league competitive division. We assign the “Black” color to the top team in a given age group, regardless of the league and division. Team naming reflects where a team falls in the developmental spectrum of our Blackhawks teams and not their playing level. You will receive information about play level and team plan with your team placement announcement.
BLACK RED GOLD WHITE GRAY SILVER
Tryout FAQs & refund policy
My child is not able to make tryouts - what do I do?
If your child is unable to attend both days or can only attend one day, the child still needs to be registered for tryouts so the club knows his/her intent to play next season. The coaching directors will rely on coach input to help place the player on appropriate teams.
What are the rules for promotion and relegation?
Most of our teams participate in Twin Cities Soccer League (TCSL). There is no promotion/relegation in this league. Our Coaching Directors decide at which level the teams will participate.
For the MYSA league, please refer to their policies and rules relating to Promotion and Relegation.
Who will be the coach of my team next year?
Our club’s philosophy is that each coach has two years with a team. There are some exceptions to this. For example, if a team earns promotion, the club may extend the coach’s assignment with the team to help the transition. We believe players can learn new things from different coaches tactically, technically, and psychologically.
What should I think about heading in to tryouts?
Do the teams change much each season?
Tryouts are conducted every year for competitive soccer. Players will be placed at the level where they fit best developmentally based on the coach feedback and player development over the season and tryout performance. Rosters typically change season-to-season between U9–U14, and somewhat between U14–U18. While teamwork is very important, keeping teams together starting at U9 would not be beneficial. Individual kids develop at different rates and grouping players based on their developmental level at the point of time is in the best interest of the individual and the team. This gives the opportunity to all players to be both challenged and successful.
Do any Blackhawks teams participate in the USYS National League?
Yes. We have multiple boys teams participating, starting at U13. For our girls teams, because of the fall high school season, we have to compete in the Great Lakes Conference, which is Ohio and New York. We have competed in the past and given the expense associated with travel to these states, we have declded to put the girls teams in NPL, which is a highly competitive league in MN.
What is my responsibility to the team?
At Blackhawks, we expect you to take responsibility for your soccer experience like any other commitment. After joining a team, you will receive a lot of information about practices, games and other events that occur throughout the year. It is your job to keep track of this information. Likewise, it is your job to talk with your coach about any issues or concerns you may have.
Tryout fees are non-refundable
- For U12+ competitive teams, the club will keep 33% of the fees if players leave before November 15 for U12+. No refunds will be given for withdrawal after this point unless authorized by the Executive Director.
- For U9–U11 developmental teams, the club will keep 33% of the fees if players leave before February 28th. No refunds will be given for withdrawal after this point unless authorized by the coaching director.
- For Fall developmental and competitive teams, the club will keep 33% of the fees if players leave before August 10th. No refunds will be given for withdrawal after this point unless authorized by the coaching director.
- For other programming, the club will keep 25% for camps, Skill Builders, futsal league, etc. if notified more than a week before the first day of the program, 50% if within one week, and no refund after the program begins.
- A partial refund will be issued to players who experience a season-ending injury. The refund will take into account administrative fees and the amount of time the player was able to participate.
- Team fees are not included under these terms.
- Refunds for other programming and events not called out above will be determined at the discretion of the Executive Director.